Friday, April 20, 2007

Lessons?

I know yesterday I was a bit preachy...life is what you make it...blah, blah, blah...and I still 100% believe all of that is true. But what I'm thinking is not only should we believe it, but we better make sure we're living it. You guys know that I recently lost my friend Ray. Well today as I was walking into the church office (unlocking the door) an accident happened on the road right beside me. I saw it out of the corner of my eye - the collision was SO loud, it sounded like a gunshot going off. I stood for a moment, just kind of paralyzed and speechless. A white van had smashed into this little white Honda Civic type car. She was sitting at a stop sign and the white van swerved and smashed into her so hard it picked up her little car - lifted it over the sidewalk - and bent it around the telephone pole. I just was stunned. When my brain started functioning I thought, do I run over? Do I call 911? What should I do? Right then these two guys are running down the sidewalk (they were on the correct side of the street), and they ran to check on the people. One guy screams - "HE'S HAVING A HEART ATTACK". They were trying to get the guy out of the van, but his doors were locked. They were pulling on the door trying to yank it open and the guy inside the van is slumped over. The poor woman in the car was trapped between the telephone pole and this guy's van (it had rammed right into the driver's door) - she couldn't even open the door. They were still trying to get the guy out but all his doors were locked, people were pouring out of buildings, there's shouting "FIND A CROWBAR, BREAK THE WINDOW". The scene held me captive. I felt like I couldn't move, like I couldn't hardly breathe. Finally an ambulance came, fire trucks and police came. They got the old guy out. I don't know if he made it or not. They worked on him for a long time. I prayed everyone would be okay. I just think - you never know what's going to happen. I mean even if you aren't the guy in the van having the heart attack you could just as easily be the woman T-boned between the van and the telephone pole. (Here's a picture of the scene - both vehicles are behind the firetruck.) LIVE life every day. Tell family and friends you love them. Try to do good works and things that make you happy. Live a Good Life.

1 comment:

Krissiem said...

Those white vans.... need I say more? Sorry that you had to witness something like that Aub...I am glad you are safe and best wishes go out to the people involved.
Luv Ya-Krissie