Tuesday, March 04, 2008

SAFARI PICTURS - DAY 1

Let's start at the beginning shall we?! As we entered the gate to the game range the first thing we saw was zebras, a giraffe, and monkeys. The monkeys were way to fast to catch a picture of, the zebras were so close I didn't get a great picture, but the giraffe - ahhh...the lovely giraffe, he posed very nicely for us. (This picture is especially for our friend Kate!!!)Next we checked into the lodge. They greeted us curbside as we pulled up. They unloaded our luggage, offered us fresh juice, and took us to our tent. Here's a picture of Leah "going in". It's really a super cute tent. We feel like we're back at summer camp!We had time to get freshened up a bit, then it was time to head out to safari. Michael introduced himself and said he'd be our ranger during our entire stay. The rangers really do everything for you. They come by your tent to give you a wake up call in the morning; if you have to drive somewhere - they will take you. They have all their meals with you as well. Michael has been very nice.The first animal we came across on safari was an Impala. They're so beautiful and there's tons of them out here.
The animal we saw next was an ostrich. The ostrich came right up to the truck and was pecking at it. It almost got our friend Sindy's bottom. When we left it ran right beside the truck for a long time.We were on our way to try and find lions and we had to cross over this little pond. It was the most incredible pond, the water almost seemed to be magical in how well it reflected everything around it. The water itself was not pretty or even clean, but the reflection on top of it was astounding. **Coming back that night we were using a big searchlight to look for lions and shining the light on the water we were able, even then, to get a reflection of the trees around it.**It was getting pretty close to sundown and we came across this Wilde beast. He had his back to us and then it was almost as though he realized we were taking pictures and he posed to give us this great shot. I really like Wilde beast - I think they have incredible faces.
That's it for Day 1 of the safari. We ended the evening without seeing lions, but we did see:
Impala
Ostrich
Monkeys
Giraffes
Kudu
Hyena
Jackal
Wart hogs
Thanks for checking in on us. We're having an amazing time and appreciate all your prayers. Every one here has been incredibly kind and the food is terrific!
Blessings,
Aubrey & Leah





8 comments:

Jenn Alvarez said...

WOW! Awesome pictures Aubrey! I'm so glad you got to go! I'm so sad that you didn't get to see the lions. :0( It's so weird not getting to talk to you everyday. Come home!

Melissa said...

What beautiful pictures...and what an exciting time!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love the picture of the giraffe. That is so awesome that you are in South Africa. How many giraffes did you find? If you see a lion will you be scared? What was the giraffe doing? I like your tent. Have a great time out in the wild! Love, Kate

Anonymous said...

First of all...I was thinking you were staying in a pop-up tent- not a hut. What an absolutely cool adventure. I never thought about going to Africa but now my daughter wants to go and it looks pretty cool. Your guide looks like a sweet man. I am so thrilled for the two of you. I am going to show off your Safari photos to my class tomorrow. I know that none of my students have ever been on a real Safari in South Africa before. Crystal

Ginny said...

Aub, the pictures are terrific and I am so glad that you are having a great time. How are you feeling? I have faith that you are doing well and will continue to throughout the entire time. Have fun honey and thank for sharing.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Aub-

what an amazing time you are having!
I miss you!

I had to celebrate my birthday without you---no Chevy's Margaritas---no fun!

hey any barnacles there in Safari land?

love ya

Mel

Jeanne said...

I'm so glad you're having a great time! What an adventure you and Leah must be having. The pictures are great. Be careful of those ostriches though because they're really mean! Looking forward to your next post...

Anonymous said...

DIVA!!!
Wow your pics are amazing. Val said that you had posted some pics and I thought that I'd better check them out. I can't wait to catch up with you when you get home! Travel safe and enjoy your time there!
-Krissie